I should be studying for my midterms but my thoughts and words have been jumbled up in my mind for far too long. I have finally found a point of clarity so that I can jot down all of my thoughts to sum up the feelings/confusions/situations as of late. Apologies for not writing in so long and apologies also for the difference in content this time around – but I guess hey, this did start off as a personal blog, right? And I’m learning, so I guess there is a place for that here.
1. Moving forward with my dreams. It’s no secret that writing takes up a significant portion of my life, especially during grade 12 onwards and even more so now. Writing for the student news paper and contributing to two blogs has kept me on my toes and busy (hence neglect here), and it has really inspired me to just keep thinking, observing, and writing. Even if the only person that reads my piece is the editor that edits my work, I am so grateful for the opportunity to move ahead with something that I love. I feel like I finally found my niche at school. On top of this, an added bonus is being able to work alongside some incredible people that share the same interests and love for writing as I do. Every time I see my name in print it brings me so much joy, but I remember always that there are so many people behind me that have helped me get to this point.
2. Departure from other things. I haven’t been as open about this because I am still trying to sort my feelings out. After playing piano for nearly 13 years with the intention of starting my diploma process this June, I recently found out that I am ineligible to take the path that I had prepared nearly a year and a half for. I was devastated. I can put blame on no one but myself for not looking into this sooner. But having this sudden rupture in my plan has begun to put things into perspective for me; #1, Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men has never had more weight on my life than right now, #2, I am forced now to re-evaluate my relationship with music. Before I was just emotional about it; it was really the longest relationship I had ever had with anything. But after crying about it, being frustrated and mad about it and having broken a few things, I feel like it’s time to say good bye – to part of it. I still love teaching and I still love serving at Mass with music. Music once was my life and my everything, but now I’m beginning to see that it’s not. And that’s unfortunate, because, forget about the countless hours of preparation and practice. What really chokes me is how much my parents have invested into me. I will never be able to pay back the thousands of dollars, and I can’t even come back with a parchment that shows that I made use of it. This hurts me so much. But I don’t want to play anymore if it’s just going to be stress. And this is what it has become for me. I really need to dig deep and refocus my view on piano, because this is toxic and I don’t like it.
3. You left/Toxicity pt. 1. Speaking of toxicity, remember always that you don’t deserve to be in relationships (romantic of otherwise) that make you feel terrible. Long story short, I had a misunderstanding with you and we finally sorted it out. Those kinds of things always gave me anxiety, but I’m glad we had this talk. What is bothering me is that now you just left me behind. You’re ignoring me, giving me zero eye contact, not returning my messages, etc, etc. And this was after you said – to my face – that I could rely on you if ever I needed someone. I see now that karma is quite powerful, because it’s true, clinginess makes me distant. I have yet to learn how to maturely deal with people who are clingy. It’s a strong character flaw, I know. I get that these things that you are doing to me now, whether or not you realize it, was probably exactly what I did to you. And that’s fine, that’s cool. But at least I responded when you called, even when I didn’t feel like it. I helped you when you asked, even though you never thanked me. The least you could do is actually look up when I say hi. So here I am, contemplating whether or not I should just cut you off completely. Because I really don’t deserve to stress out over something so irrelevant in my life.
4. I found out/Toxicity pt. 2. I used to have incredibly strong feelings about you, to the point where I cried about you at night. And when you finally showed interest in me, I thought that I was the luckiest girl in the world. But over time, every time I saw you, I began to see parts of you unfold that I didn’t understand. You didn’t tell your friends about me, you were inconsistent with your affection, and I think that all you really wanted from me was someone to satisfy what you couldn’t get from other girls. And that’s my fault for going along with it. But here’s the thing, I’m done with that because I know that I deserve better. What I did was wrong. Though I said yes then, I’m saying no now. And I came to this realization when you broke my belongings. So simple. So nit-picky of me. But if you can’t treat my belongings with respect, then how do I know that you’ll treat me with respect?
5. All my eggs in one basket. I really wanted this project to work out. But it’s so difficult to see all our hard work producing no results. Constant reminder to stay humble and keep trying. All in God’s time.
6. “So Christmas, right?” Have I ever mentioned how difficult it is to live with a sister – a younger sister – who has such a beautiful and strong relationship with a boy that brings out the best version of herself? I reserve the right to retract that comment until I meet him. But I don’t know, I guess it’s kind of a rite of passage, and being the oldest I thought that by now I would have had some kind of success and some form of long-standing, loving relationship. Mine come nowhere close to what my sister has, and there are days where I am envious and other days where I just ask God where my soulmate is. I keep asking my sister when I can meet him so that I can really see what he’s like, and thank him in person for taking care of my sister and bringing a different kind of happiness into her life that is exclusive to them and different from what we as a family can give her. In the meantime, I’m still waiting.
7. Pain. I am so thankful that I have recently begun seeing a chiropractor. The pain in my upper back has been unbearable lately, to the point where I can’t sleep. But aside from pain, sleep hasn’t been coming to me lately.
8. Constant reminder. Seeing an ex-boyfriend that hurt me around campus sucks. But these deep feelings of hate that I harbour towards him is a constant reminder that I am not fully over the whole thing, thus I haven’t fully forgiven him. How do you begin to forgive someone who has done unforgivable things to you? God, give me the grace to find that forgiveness. I know that the sooner I forgive him, the sooner I don’t have to feel irrationally angry.
9. Lent. Looking for that extra purpose to make Lent more meaningful this year.
10. Him. My general like for guys always starts the same way – I can’t stop thinking about him. But since I don’t know where this is going to go and I don’t even know if he likes me back, I’m trying my best to let things happen by themselves and focus on what is in front of me. I know that all the times I have interfered before, it has left me with disappointment. But what doesn’t help is how great he is.
Thanks for bearing with me, and I promise for actual content soon.